I’ve decided to move away from Google Feedburner. I’ve deactivated my FeedSmith plugin, and have submitted changes to the domain name system. I am so glad that I used the MyBrand option when I set up my feeds.
So my Feedburner feed which was http://feeds.planetmike.com/planetmikedotcom now refers browsers and feed readers to http://www.planetmike.com/feed/
I set up feeds.planetmike.com to point to my own web server. I added this to the .htaccess in the top level directory of that “site.” I don’t even need an index file there, as all requests get rerouted to the site’s home page.
RewriteRule planetmikedotcom http://www.planetmike.com/feed/ [R=301,L]
RewriteRule (.*) http://www.planetmike.com/ [R=301,L]
I deactivated the FeedSmith plugin, double checked that my site was returning my regular feed address, and things are good to go. Please let me know if you see anything odd with my feeds.