My dad and I played LetterPress last March and ended up playing 1,578 words. We made a few mistakes early on that cost us a few extra words. We probably could’ve gotten close to 1,600 had we paid closer attention.
Here are some tips and hints for doing a long LetterPress game:
- Hope for only a few “bad” letters” so that you will have an easy letter to avoid using. We had four “v”, and “q” “x” “z” and “y” so I believe it’s very possible to have a longer game. We definitely would have traded a “v” for an “r.”
- Hope for easy plurals, such as “s” and “es” and “ies.”
- Hope for four or five vowels, “a” “e” and “i” at least.
- Always submit the first few letters of a word before trying a long word. We used “batty” as our fifth word, locking out “ba” and “bat” and possibly “batt.”
- If you’re going for a longest game score, you have to work with your opponent. Decide together what letter to avoid using.
- It’s very easy to get excited and type in a really long word that either ends the game or disqualifies a lot of other words.
- Try funny words. That’s how I found the word “squit.” It turns out we have several British words in this game.
- Don’t worry about your score. The lead will go back and forth. But the score isn’t the point of the game. The point of the game is to keep the game going.
- You can view the game to see what you’ve already played. Make sure you go back and try the plurals!
- If you see a word, write it down so you don’t forget it.
- Allow some time! This game took about two weeks of on-and-off play.
- Make sure you send the replay of the game to yourself so that the world will have proof of your accomplishment.
I went back to version 0.84 and basically recreated that version as version 0.96. I do hope this fixes the bugs that are breaking people’s web sites. I have also applied to WordPress for a beta version of the plugin to be listed in the Plugin Directory. That way I can test new versions on many different sites more easily, without breaking everyone’s sites when I introduce a bug. Thank you for your patience.
Version 0.96 should appear in your admin panel soon, or you can download it form the WP Plugin Directory: Ultimate Category Excluder.
I have released an updated version of my WordPress plugin, Ultimate Category Excluder. This is version 0.94, which addresses the home page bug in the previous version. I do have a bug report about another page, but since this version should fix the problem for most people, I’m releasing it now. Thanks for your patience, and your help in figuring out what the problem is.
I have released an updated version of my WordPress plugin, Ultimate Category Excluder. A few people are finding the plugin isn’t excluding categories at all anymore. For now, you can download the old version. Replace the file
ultimate-category-excluder.php in the /wp-content/plugins/ultimate-category-excluder folder with the one that is in this zip.
If this bug is hitting you, please send me the system info that is found at the bottom of the UCE settings page. I can’t reproduce the bug on my server or test server.
Note for Upgrading to 0.91
If you are upgrading to version 0.91, you need to choose any category to exclude from the Search column on the settings page. Then save the settings. And then go back and uncheck that category, and save the settings again.
I do understand your frustration. And I’m sorry this free software isn’t working 100%.
An attacker scanned my web sites this morning for URLs including these files.
None of these files are part of a WordPress installation. So if you see them in your system, give it a much closer look to see if something bad is happening on your site. Check your logs, and look at the file itself (but not through your browser, but offline!).
Today’s attacker came from 188.8.131.52 (hca-erfurt.de.), which is in Germany.
I have released an upgraded version of Ultimate Category Excluder. Version 0.84 works with WordPress 3.6. I’ve also added a listing of your system’s software versions. So if you have trouble, you can send me the details of your system.
Download Ultimate Category Excluder from the WordPress Plugin Directory.