While perusing my apache logs, I ran across a lot of requests from a bot with the user-agent of “ShablastBot 1.0” and all came from the IP address of 126.96.36.199. Reverse IP shows that 188.8.131.52 184.108.40.206 220.127.116.11
and 18.104.22.168 also resolve to shablast.com. One significant problem appears to be it doesn’t correctly parse out feed: URLs, so I have dozens of bad requests for things like “HEAD /2008/02/feed:http:/www.example.com/feed”
The other major problem is it sent out many many requests in a very short amount of time. Luckily, the server throttled the connections before any damage could be done. But for now I’ve blocked both the ShaBlastBot user-agent and the known IP addresses of that agent from my server.
There isn’t any obvious way to contact any one at ShaBlast about the problems, although I did leave a comment on the site’s blog.