Ultimate Category Excluder (UCE – unfortunately the same abbreviation as unsolicited commercial email) is a WordPress plugin that allows you to quickly and easily exclude categories from your front page, archives, and feeds. Just select which categories you want to be excluded, and UCE does all the work for you!
Ultimate Category Excluder was originally written by Kyle Slattery of fidgeting.net.
I am using Ultimate Category Excluder on a blog running WordPress 3.6. You should not be running older versions of WordPress, they have serious known security problems. The current version of UCE (0.96) does not work with versions of WordPress before version 3.1. Contact me if you need an older version of UCE (but you really should upgrade your WordPress!)
- Download Ultimate Category Excluder to the plugins directory under wp-content of your blog.
- Unzip the ultimate-category-excluder.zip file.
- Activate the plugin on your plugins page.
- You can edit the options by going under “Settings” and then “Category Exclusion.”
- If you are upgrading from an older version, you need to go into your “Category Exclusion” settings, choose at least one option from the Searches column, save settings, then go back and clear that option and save again.
- (Optional) I suggest you subscribe to my RSS feed so you can stay informed about any updates to Ultimate Category Excluder.
Note for Upgrading to 0.96
If you are upgrading to version 0.96, you need to choose any category to exclude from the Search column on the settings page. Then save the settings. And then go back and uncheck that category, and save the settings again.
- Deactivate the plugin on your plugins page.
- Delete the ultimate_category_excluder directory from your plugins directory, under wp-content of your blog directory.
- 0.96 – September 11, 2013 – Went back to the last known (no complaints at least!) version, 0.84. I know it’s been frustrating over the last few days, and I apologize for breaking web sites around the web.
- 0.94 – September 9, 2013 – It turns out that some themes process their home pages in odd ways. This resulted in UCE no longer correctly filtering out the excluded categories. This was a hard bug to figure out, as I couldn’t reproduce it on any of my sites. I think I’ve got it fixed now, but I do have a report that UCE is now causing a conflict with a separate page on the site. So I am working on that; but since this version should fix most people’s home pages, I’m releasing it while continuing to bug hunt. Thank you for your patience. Many thanks to Michael Westergaard, Alyx Hydrick, Alain Saintpo, Seth Vore, and Michael Pollock for their help in figuring out what was happening.
I also fixed several very subtle bugs that were throwing error messages behind the scenes. And I tweaked the system information section at the bottom of the UCE settings page.
Added the Danish tranlation. I don’t who to thank for providing this.
Added Brazilian translation. Thank you to Leandro Callegari Coelho.
Feel free to send me other languages if you like.
- 0.91 – September 4, 2013 – You can now exclude categories from appearing in results from the built-in WordPress search engine. Other search engines (e.g. Bing, Google) may still be able to find and index your content. Also fixed a bug that excluded categories from appearing in the Post Editor. And fixed a bug in the system information section.
- 0.84 – August 3, 2013 – Fixed the show empty category listing again.
- 0.83 – August 2, 2013 – I fixed a couple of silly bugs. And added a feature to list what versions of MySQL, PHP, WordPress and UCE you are running. The first thing I ask when someone reports a bug is the version of their system software, and most of the time they have no idea.
- 0.8 – July 7, 2011 – All categories will now appear on the list of categories able to be excluded, even those categories that don’t have any posts yet.
- 0.7 – May 6, 2011 – Added internationalization (i18n) support, based on suggestion and code from Patrick Skiebe.
- 0.6 – February 24, 2011 – Addressed a bug in UCE that didn’t handle multiple excluded categories correctly.
- 0.5 – February 24, 2011 – Addressed a bug in WP 3.1.
- 0.4 – October 10, 2009 – A user pointed out a bug when trying to filter down categories in the edit posts admin area. I believe I’ve fixed this, but let me know if you still have trouble.
- 0.3 – June 20, 2009 – James Revillini pointed out a few fairly obvious bugs. I’ve incorporated his changes into the software.
- 0.21 Beta – January 10, 2008 – Initial release, fixed file name bug, dashes vs. underscores
- 0.2 Beta – December 13, 2007 – Initial release, tweaked to refer to PlanetMike.com, no functionality changed
- 0.1 Beta – February 14, 2007 – Initial release
- Allow settings to be automatically applied to child categories
- Have more precise control of exclusions–i.e. exclude from home page, but not from list of categories
- Create “category bundles” which are a group of categories that have their own feed, page, etc.
Find a bug?
If you happen to find any problems, let me know! Also, if there is anything you’d like to see in future releases, please, give me your thoughts.
Using Ultimate Category Excluder is free, you do not have to pay me anything. If you find it useful, and you’d like to pay me, any (or all!) of the following would be greatly appreciated: