Ultimate Category Excluder (UCE – unfortunately the same abbreviation as unsolicited commercial email) is a WordPress plugin that allows you to quickly and easily exclude categories from your front page, archives, and feeds. Just select which categories you want to be excluded, and UCE does all the work for you!
Ultimate Category Excluder was originally written by Kyle Slattery of fidgeting.net.
I am using Ultimate Category Excluder on a blog running WordPress 3.4.1. You should not be running older versions of WordPress, they have serious known security problems. The current version of UCE (0.8) does not work with versions of WordPress before version 3.1. Contact me if you need an older version of UCE (but you really should upgrade your WordPress!)
- Download Ultimate Category Excluder to the plugins directory under wp-content of your blog.
- Unzip the ultimate-category-excluder.zip file.
- Activate the plugin on your plugins page.
- You can edit the options by going under “Settings” and then “Category Exclusion.”
- (Optional) I suggest you subscribe to my RSS feed so you can stay informed about any updates to Ultimate Category Excluder.
- Deactivate the plugin on your plugins page.
- Delete the ultimate_category_excluder directory from your plugins directory, under wp-content of your blog directory.
- 0.8 – July 7, 2011 – All categories will now appear on the list of categories able to be excluded, even those categories that don’t have any posts yet.
- 0.7 – May 6, 2011 – Added internationalization (i18n) support, based on suggestion and code from Patrick Skiebe.
- 0.6 – February 24, 2011 – Addressed a bug in UCE that didn’t handle multiple excluded categories correctly.
- 0.5 – February 24, 2011 – Addressed a bug in WP 3.1.
- 0.4 – October 10, 2009 – A user pointed out a bug when trying to filter down categories in the edit posts admin area. I believe I’ve fixed this, but let me know if you still have trouble.
- 0.3 – June 20, 2009 – James Revillini pointed out a few fairly obvious bugs. I’ve incorporated his changes into the software.
- 0.21 Beta – January 10, 2008 – Initial release, fixed file name bug, dashes vs. underscores
- 0.2 Beta – December 13, 2007 – Initial release, tweaked to refer to PlanetMike.com, no functionality changed
- 0.1 Beta – February 14, 2007 – Initial release
- Allow settings to be automatically applied to child categories
- Have more precise control of exclusions–i.e. exclude from home page, but not from list of categories
- Create “category bundles” which are a group of categories that have their own feed, page, etc.
Find a bug?
If you happen to find any problems, let me know! Also, if there is anything you’d like to see in future releases, please, give me your thoughts.
Using Ultimate Category Excluder is free, you do not have to pay me anything. If you find it useful, and you’d like to pay me, any (or all!) of the following would be greatly appreciated: